Wednesday 7 April 2010

iPod and touch screens

On buying an iPod as a present the other day I found myself behaving rather oddly - I kept touching the screen to make it do something. It struck me that the iPhone has a lot to answer for - because I was holding the device in my hand my brain was obviously telling me how to use it....wrong!

It shows how quickly we accept new interfaces and how quickly really cool ones become old hat. In its day the interface for the iPod was genius. We've developed a fair number of interfaces - based on an automated retail banking background - but iPod and iPhone - we would never have come up with (pity). As web developers we use our previous skills and the innovations of the market leaders to help us arrive at good design - maybe one day we'll come up with something better than the iphone - that would be good.

No comments: